Site of XI – XIII centuries settlement
The Site of Ancient Settlement of the XI-XIII centuries is an archeological monument located in Korsun-Shevchenkivskiy on the left bank of the River Ros at the confluence of the Korsunka River. According to the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on September 3, 2009, № 928 it belongs to the monuments of cultural heritage of national importance, entered into the State Register of Immovable Monuments of Ukraine (protection number 230021-N).
The Settlement of the XI-XIII centuries – are the remains of the Korsun fortress, which was a part of the Porossya defensive line. It was built by one of the first fortresses in 1032, according to other sources – in 1031. There are four chronicle mentions of Korsun, dating to 1032 (1031), 1169, 1172, 1195–1202 years.
The fortress was built on an oval granite promontory. On the southern and western sides it was protected by the steep bank of the river, on the northern and eastern sides by a moat and a rampart (finally destroyed in the 1920s). From the southern and western sides the fortress was escarped by a single-stage ledge up to 4 m high. The area of the fortress is 2 hectares.
To the west of the monument and on the river Ros islands in the XI-th the first half of the XIII centuries. there was a settlement, which together with the fortress was a single complex (dytynets, suburb). Archaeological excavations at the settlement (dytynets) were conducted in 1949 (head – Vasyl Dovzhenok), at the settlement (position) – in 1989 (head – Vasyl Volyanyk) and in 1996-1998 (head – Oleksandr Nazarov).
Archaeologists have discovered objects and subjects of material culture which give grounds to claim that on the site of the modern town of Korsun-Shevchenkivskiy was not only a defensive point, but also a large craft and trade center, because the main functions of the fortresses of the Porossya defense line was not only to protect Russ but also in the development and consolidation of new southern territories. In the twelfth – first half of the thirteenth century Korsun was the center of one of the six territorial groups of monuments, which scholars interpret as administrative-territorial entities within Porossya.
From the settlement of the XI-XIII centuries. in the town of Korsun-Shevchenkivskiy there is a wonderful panorama of the town on the right bank of the river Ros, its surroundings can be seen for several kilometers. Archaeological excavations at the settlement, followed by its museification, will turn the monument into an attractive tourist item.